Forest River - Buyer beware, poor quality of workmanship on our 2014 destination trailer
In 2013 we bought a new 2014 Model Salem destination trailer built by Forest River from Fun-N-Sun in Ludington, Michigan. The first season we had these issues covered by warranty with quality repair work done by Fun-N-Sun: Several leaking windows, a leaking shower and a malfunctioning stove. We also had a foul odor in the bathroom which was blamed on a faulty toilet. Fun-N-Sun replaced the toilet which improved the situation but did not correct it and there is a leak under the trailer in our black water system when the tank reaches about 60-70% full.
We discovered when we opened the trailer in 2014 (after winter storage) that the 3 large slide-outs had the floors drop out of them due to being built incorrectly at the factory. Water damage and mold had ruined the nightstands and although it took a long time (over 6 months) the slide-outs were repaired under warranty and the nightstands eventually replaced (18 months later). We also noticed the solid wood cabinet faces had separated at the joints and some split as well (see photos). Many complaints to Forest River have not done any good and our cabinets now look terrible.
When we opened the trailer in 2015 we found that the furnace no longer worked and spent $200 replacing the control board and a GFI plug was out costing another $50 and when the weather warmed up we discovered the AC unit was shot. That is an $800 repair yet to be done.
To sum up, we spent over $30,000 on a brand new Forest River destination trailer that has cost over $1,000 to repair, smells like *** at times, has trashed cabinetry and a dead AC unit. To be fair, Forest River has done a lot of warranty work on our unit which aside from some disappointment and inconvenience on our part is good thing but it does point to appalling quality control issues. Customers have a right to expect better. Now if we can get some resolution on the AC unit, black water problem and cabinet faces, I guess I we will be happy campers.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
What I liked
- Floor plan
- Overall design
What I disliked
- That they have not responded
- Initial quality of trailer
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Preferred solution:
- Let the company propose a solution
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- 2014 Forest River Salem Villa Series Rv
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Our 2015 Salem cruise lite 28 ft-From day one - power hitch blows fuse constantly (had to do by hand every time )the power rear stabilizers stopped raising and lowering..."
- "I have a Forest River, Cedar Creek 36CKTS that's less than 2 years old and the clear coat is gone, my paint is a rough grey color with no shine..."
- "NEVER BUY A FOREST RIVER PRODUCT!!! We purchased a new FR Rockwood 5th wheel in July 2015 it is now April 2016 and our unit has been in the dealer warranty..."
- "I Shashikant bhange had bought Skechers shoe go walk 3 on 16/03/2016 from Inc 5 store in Vimannagar pune.I used another spare shoes in rainy months. After that I used..."
- "Hidious Service! Paid for my order to be priorty shipped & arrive before Christmas! Just received the item a week ago. Good Luck getting a live person on the phone...."
- "Different people twice tried to send me funds via ClearXChange. Each time, I was asked to register, and then the link said my CapitalOne bank was a partner, and then..."
- "My husband and i were eating dinner and i had served a can of Wylwood whole kernel corn i happen to look at my plate and there was a corn..."
- "This is what was delivered from flowerdeliverexpress.com, complete scam!!!! I'm so mad that my wonderful husband spent money to send me beautiful flowers for my birthday and this is what..."