Forest River - Undersized Axles!!!

530 of 695 Forest River reviews

We bought a 2013 Forest River Cherokee pull behind trailer and took one trip in it and when we were on our way back home we stopped and noticed our tires were twisting.When we got to a near by gas station we saw that the tires were balding already and we had only traveled in it once.

When we called the dealership they said it was caused by undersized axles. When we looked at the weight sticker on the trailer it said dry weight was 6,920lbs and we had two axles that each held 3500lbs. Which equals to 7,000lbs. We only had 80lbs till it was maxed and that is dry weight which means without the water full and luggage!

The good thing was we called Forest River and the guy told us to buy new tires and they would compensate us for the tires so we didn't risk having a blow out. Which they did compensate us for the tires. But now they are refusing to fix the axles!? That's the whole issue!

It's still under warranty and they refuse to fix something that is obviously their problem! We took the trailer in to 3 different Forest River mechanic shops and all 3 lead mechanics agreed that the axles are too small. When we had the tires replaced the owner of the tire shop even said that the wear on the tires was caused by the undersized axles flexing. If you are having problems like this please contact us.

We are trying to file a class action law suit and we only need 3 people that are having similar problems.You can email me at rhondaandsteve@yahoo.com

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 29 Yes 29
530 of 695 Forest River reviews
Kevin A

Feb 07 #1282888 Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa

Seems tire manufacturer should file suit against them too. I am having the same problem and a tire manufacturer replaced my tires and paid for the damage to my trailer caused by tires blowing out. I have a 2006 Forest River Sierra Sport Toy Hauler and upon inspecting one of the rims it says 2,150 lb weight rating. My max is just under 12,000 lb which I never run at. I am only now realizing that my axles may be under sized by researching switching to 16" wheels/tires to be on the high side of weight capacity and coming across these forums.

Jan 14 #1270958 Schenectady, New York, United States

so sorry about a horrendous problem! hubby bought me a forest river trailer for birthday, haven't used it yet and now 4 yrs old. fully loaded with all extras. I will check axels to have them fixed before any trips. we had trailer made for us and shipped from ohio to us in New York, they gave us $9000 off cost plus delivered it using a trucking company so not to wear anything out or risk damage. they also paid for this, over $1000. we are still nervous about so much to learn, like pulling down the murphy bed easier, etc. they answered our questions and helped a lot. maybe having it built made the difference...

Jerry

Jan 12 #1270057 Alexander, Arkansas, United States

We have the same issue... dealer says it's within tolerance...
they will see how tolerant I am tomorrow when I go pick it up... and they want to charge me for crawling under the trailer to check it out... still under 1st year warranty, plus I bought a two year extended plan... If this they way Forrest River and their dealers roll, I will not be rolling with them next purchase.

Jan 09 #1268326 Akron, Ohio, United States

I have a axle problem with my 2013 Vengeance toy hauler with less than 3000 miles on it and never even put anything in the garage. Tires wearing on the inside of the rear axle. Rear axle tube is bent. Contacted Forest River and they politely told to go fly a kite. It was a Lippert axle problem. Lippert didn't install the axles, Forest River built the unit and installed the axles. Contacted Lippert and they said we don't install them we just sell them. Which i kinda figured that would be the answer.
5200 lb axles and 11890 LB GVWR, i am no math wiz but that just doesn't compute. Never again will i even Think about another Forest River product. Going to get the repair done at the cost of $2500.00. If anybody ask's about Forest River i will tell them to find someone else.

randy

Aug 06, 2016 #1195687 Elk Grove, California, United States

SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2015 SALEM , REAR AXLE TIRES ARE WORN DOWN TO THE CORDS, LIPPERT TELLS ME I OVERLOADED THE TRAILER, NOT....TRL WEIGHT IS 6680 AND 980 POUNDS ARE WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE ABLE TO CARRY, THO WE NEVER DO AS THAT WOULD PUT THE TRL AT 7680 POUNDS OR AROUND 700 POUNDS OVER WEIGHT, FOREST RIVER TELLS ME TO CONTACT LIPPERT BUT ITS NOT A LIPPERT PROBLEM, FOREST RIVER PUTS THESE UNDER RATED AXLES ON THESE TRAILERS WHICH ARE TO WEAK FOR THE WEIGHT OF THE TRAILER, I SAY FOREST RIVER SHOULD BE LIABLE NOT LIPPERT. IM WAY UPSET THAT NEITHER COMPANY WANTS TO TAKE CARE OF THIS MATTER.

terry

Jul 25, 2016 #1189848 Acton, Massachusetts, United States

Hello
I bought my forest River a year and half ago. I have had the tires wear out all on the inside of my camper. I had to buy new ones it cost over $500.00. I had the dealer send a request for Forest River to repair this problem. they clearly sent a refusal back. I am wondering how I can help you and myself.
Terry

Jun 01, 2016 #1167478

Wow! this is exactly what my brand new 2016 Wikdwood T27RKSS purchased just 2.5 weeks ago and has only been on one local trip to learn the camper. It currently sits in the dealers garage getting a AC compressor replaced. I pointed it out to them and they just said that was normal.......I'm not liking what I'm seeing.....

1 1 Reply
Mel

Aug 29, 2016 #1205253 Lyman, Wyoming, United States

It will be at the shop for the redt of its life. Good luck. Plumbing issues, be very aware of the fridge. 7 timrs told nothing wrong. Lost 3 loads of wild game meat. Then the amonia leak. Told company we were pulling our families casket.

Apr 18, 2016 #1146522

Same problem 2013 Cherokee can't believe they push the limit on those axels like that. I'm going to put 5000lb axels on mine.

Mar 22, 2016 #1132162

April 16, 2014 you had made a post regarding Forest River and undersized axles. We have a 2014 Salem Cruise Lite we purchased July 2014 and by August 2015 we noticed the same thing you mentioned....Oddly worn tire tread on inside of wheel, apparent bending of the tire and swaying in the axle. We were told the same thing you were, undersized axles. First pictures sent to Forest River and they said the trailer was over-weighted....unlikely as we only go local and keep it empty and in indoor storage from October to April. We are now in the process of second pictures being taken and sent. What was your outcome?
David and Monique Koester
Michigan

Mar 07, 2016 #1123397 Weslaco, Texas, United States

WE HAVE A BUMPER TO BUMPER DISASTER ON WHEELS FOREST RIVER 2013 5TH WHEEL. AXLE PROBLEMS AND BROKEN LEAF SPRINGS AND WORN TIRES ALL AT OUR EXPENSE AS WARRANTY DEPT DOES NOT ANSWER YOUR E MAILS AND PROMISES MEAN NOTHING . NEVER AGAIN A FOREST RIVER PRODUCT.NEVER.
WE ARE CONSIDERING CLASS LAW SUIT.

2 0 Reply

Feb 27, 2016 #1118856

Buy new tires that was your first mistake, have them come out and replace the axes, springs and tires.
Good luck getting it done.

Mar 16, 2016 #1128691

We want to see about a class action suit action suit with Forest River. They have nothing but junk and not taken care of there problems. Elaine Hible ehible46@gmail.com contact me please.

RANDY

Jul 18, 2016 #1186823 Elk Grove, California, United States

HAVE A 2015 SALEM T27RLSS EXPERIENCEING THE AXLE PROBLEMS SHOWN, HAVENT GOT A RESPONSE FROM FOREST RIVER OR THE DEALER, GOT 1 NEW TIRE AND RIM FROM THE DEALER AND THEY NEVER MENTIONED AN AXLE PROBLEM, THEN I LOOKED IT UP ONLINE AND WAS VERY UPSET.

Sep 18, 2014 #872129

I had the same problem with my 2008 I think someone should go after them we had tom pay out of pocket

Robin

Sep 01, 2014 #864272

I believe this may have been a recall.
However, we had one recall on the lights. Our shower strip along the bottom which makes the water run back into the shower was installed backwards (so all the water ran onto the bathroom floor). They did fix this after a bit.
We used the camper one time and parked it due to personal reasons. We just went to use it after being parked in the driveway for about 1 1/2 yrs and the side by the door came apart driving down the highway. Not good.

1-20 of 31 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Forest River. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Forest River.
Filing a new complaint about
×