5.7K views 35 comments
Featured Not resolved

We bought a 2013 Forest River Cherokee pull behind trailer and took one trip in it and when we were on our way back home we stopped and noticed our tires were twisting.When we got to a near by gas station we saw that the tires were balding already and we had only traveled in it once.

When we called the dealership they said it was caused by undersized axles. When we looked at the weight sticker on the trailer it said dry weight was 6,920lbs and we had two axles that each held 3500lbs. Which equals to 7,000lbs. We only had 80lbs till it was maxed and that is dry weight which means without the water full and luggage!

The good thing was we called Forest River and the guy told us to buy new tires and they would compensate us for the tires so we didn't risk having a blow out. Which they did compensate us for the tires. But now they are refusing to fix the axles!? That's the whole issue!

It's still under warranty and they refuse to fix something that is obviously their problem! We took the trailer in to 3 different Forest River mechanic shops and all 3 lead mechanics agreed that the axles are too small. When we had the tires replaced the owner of the tire shop even said that the wear on the tires was caused by the undersized axles flexing. If you are having problems like this please contact us.

We are trying to file a class action law suit and we only need 3 people that are having similar problems.You can email me at rhondaandsteve@yahoo.com

Review about: Forest River Warranty.

Had an Experience with Forest River?

Comments

Neenah
Greenville, Michigan, United States #1345189

We have a 2016 Forest River 251rks Surveyor Couples Coach that we bought 2 months ago used.We took it for a short trip for a 2 night stay everything was good.

We took it out 2 weeks ago (our 2nd trip) and when we were coming back home the tires and brakes started smoking we had to pull over several times finally made it home. We now have it in the shop and we were told its the Lippert axels, wheels were tweaked and more. He said that they are the worst axels out there and he has had to replace several others. So, we are having him put on better ones and the cost is over $4,100.00.

No one is paying for it except us.

Yes, we are very upset!!!We agree its Forest Rivers responsibility as they are the one who installed the Lippert product on their trailers.

Donald
Calgary, Alberta, Canada #1300744

I have a 2013 Rockwood 32 foot 5th wheel.I am upgrading from 4400lb axles to 5200lb.

Most people here are not considering the hitch is carrying some of the weight. 5th wheel or bumper pull. With that in mind I still have 7100lbs on my axles and they have a capacity of 8000lbs.

If you load the trailer with your goodies and maybe some water those poor axles are running at max capacity, hence my tires blowing, load range "C" is not enough.Personally I think the axles are only good for 7000lbs (3500 per axle) The spindles, bearings and brakes are identical to my last 5th wheel that was a 23foot

I have read the comments on tires and axles of customers of forest river.I have questioned dealer, dealer service department, and manufacturer.

Too much time stressed trying get get answers. Just found your post. I plan to take this to the top.

I have a very expensive travel trailer, but it is getting more expensive by the minute.I am interested in anything you can forward to me.

Kevin A
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa #1282888

Seems tire manufacturer should file suit against them too.I am having the same problem and a tire manufacturer replaced my tires and paid for the damage to my trailer caused by tires blowing out.

I have a 2006 Forest River Sierra Sport Toy Hauler and upon inspecting one of the rims it says 2,150 lb weight rating.

My max is just under 12,000 lb which I never run at.I am only now realizing that my axles may be under sized by researching switching to 16" wheels/tires to be on the high side of weight capacity and coming across these forums.

Schenectady, New York, United States #1270958

so sorry about a horrendous problem!hubby bought me a forest river trailer for birthday, haven't used it yet and now 4 yrs old.

fully loaded with all extras. I will check axels to have them fixed before any trips. we had trailer made for us and shipped from ohio to us in New York, they gave us $9000 off cost plus delivered it using a trucking company so not to wear anything out or risk damage. they also paid for this, over $1000.

we are still nervous about so much to learn, like pulling down the murphy bed easier, etc.

they answered our questions and helped a lot.maybe having it built made the difference...

Jerry
Alexander, Arkansas, United States #1270057

We have the same issue...dealer says it's within tolerance...

they will see how tolerant I am tomorrow when I go pick it up...

and they want to charge me for crawling under the trailer to check it out...

still under 1st year warranty, plus I bought a two year extended plan...If this they way Forrest River and their dealers roll, I will not be rolling with them next purchase.

Akron, Ohio, United States #1268326

I have a axle problem with my 2013 Vengeance toy hauler with less than 3000 miles on it and never even put anything in the garage.Tires wearing on the inside of the rear axle.

Rear axle tube is bent. Contacted Forest River and they politely told to go fly a kite. It was a Lippert axle problem. Lippert didn't install the axles, Forest River built the unit and installed the axles.

Contacted Lippert and they said we don't install them we just sell them. Which i kinda figured that would be the answer.

5200 lb axles and 11890 LB GVWR, i am no math wiz but that just doesn't compute. Never again will i even Think about another Forest River product.

Going to get the repair done at the cost of $2500.00.If anybody ask's about Forest River i will tell them to find someone else.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1233067

We had the same thing happen with our keystone outback 2006

Lyman, Wyoming, United States #1205255

Let us know if you go for lawsuit. Would like to join.

Lyman, Wyoming, United States #1205250

Sounds like a typical Forest River answer.